Yesterday, I started reading "Beautiful in God's Eyes" written by Elizabeth George. In this book she explains what is considered a beautiful woman in God's eyes. In today's world, we look at outward appearance's and, whether we realize it or not, we automatically "judge" a person by that quality. Our subconscious automatically tells us who is worth spending time with, based on it's perception of how they look. However, God doesn't care what we look like, if we sing well, if we are graceful, or if we have any other talent that others can see. He is only concerned with what we "look" like through His eyes.
Proverbs 31:10 says "Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far beyond rubies." and then it goes on to tell everything that a virtuous woman should be. In reading those scriptures last night, I realize how far from God's ideal I really am. I consider myself to be a good wife, and I try to do something everyday that lets my husband know that I love and respect him. I am loyal, faithful, supportive, but.....
I can also see that my housekeeping skills, or lack of, are not just a reflection on me, but also on him. My apparent lack of financial management is another area I so desperately need to work on. I could do so much better on both of those areas and that has become my new goal. Instead of complaining about the condition of my home, I will be thankful that I have a home. Instead of being unhappy because there is never enough money for something "extra" for myself, I will be thankful that our bills are paid and we have food to eat (even if we have to eat sandwiches a few times a week :-) ).
In today's circumstances, it may be hard for us to become the Proverbs 31 woman, but it is not impossible. neither can we become her over night or even over the course of a year. It takes time to become who our husbands need and who God wants us to be.
Does that mean that we have to be perfect all the time? I hope not! After all we are human and we will burn dinner, or yell at our kids or get aggravated with our husbands. It's life, it happens. But how we handle these things and how we respond is within our control. There is no doubt, however, that it will take me a while to develop that control!
No comments:
Post a Comment